At my first summer camp, when I was eight, my roommate and I heard a rumor that some boys had put itching or sneezing powder on the beds in the girls’ dorm. We were so convinced we had a counselor search our beds.
I wasn’t entirely satisfied, but I didn’t know how the boys would’ve gotten in unseen, nor did I know what itching/sneezing powder is. I still don’t. Pepper, maybe?
However, I loved going to my church’s annual summer kids’ camp. In fact, since much of my summer camp perceptions were built around the movie The Parent Trap (starring Hayley Mills), I was a little envious my own camp lasted only five days instead of multiple weeks like the movie camp.
Camps are still a huge thing for kids. And there are so many options to choose from: church camps, sports camps, art camps, music camps, scouting camps, 4-H camps, etc. They often involve making crafts, swimming, boating, horseback riding, and singing around a campfire.
There are lots of kids’ books about summer camp. Here are more than 25 (most of which are new to me):
Picture Books and Early Chapter Books:
- The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp by Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Cam Jansen and the Summer Camp Mysteries by David A. Adler
- A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever by Marla Frazee
- Cowboy Camp by Tammi Sauer, illus. by Mike Reed
- The Fabulous Bouncing Chowder by Peter Brown
- Froggy Goes to Camp by Jonathan London
- Agnes Parker…Happy Camper? by Kathleen O’Dell
- Camp Confidential series by Melissa J. Morgan (more than 20 books)
- The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special Edition #2: Baby-sitters Summer Vacation by Ann M. Martin
- The Great Summer Camp Catastrophe by Jean Van Leeuwen
- Holes by Louis Sachar
- How Tia Lola Saved the Summer by Julia Alvarez
- I Want to Go Home by Gordon Korman
- Letters From Camp by Kate Klise, illus. by M. Sarah Klise
- Like Bug Juice on a Burger by Julie Sternberg, illus. by Matthew Cordell
- Middle School: How I Survived Bullies, Broccoli, and Snake Hill by James Patterson, Chris Tebbetts, and Laura Park
- Nerd Camp by Elissa Brent Weissman
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
- Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson
- Runaway Ralph by Beverly Cleary
- Spy Camp by Stuart Gibbs
- Summer Camp, Ready or Not! by Sandra Belton
- Hidden by Helen Frost (older MG/younger YA)
- Jersey Tomatoes are the Best by Maria Padian
- Lumberjanes series by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Shannon Watters, and Brooke Allen
- There’s a Bat in Bunk Five by Paula Danziger (older MG/younger YA)
Did you go to camp as a kid? As a counselor? What are some of your favorite camp memories? What are your favorite camp books? What books should I add to the list? Do you know what itching/sneezing powder is?